A visiting graduate student is one who either does not seek a degree at Illinois State or has not been officially admitted to a degree program. Only students admitted to Illinois State as a degree student or a visiting student may take graduate classes. Several departments/schools do not permit visiting student enrollment and others, because of limited staffing or physical constraints, restrict access to certain courses to their degree students. You should check to see whether or not the classes you want to take are available to you before submitting a visiting application.
Visiting students who later decide to pursue a degree at Illinois State may petition that coursework taken as a visitor be accepted in meeting program requirements. The petition must be recommended by the program and granted by the Graduate School. Normally no more than 12 credit hours of visiting enrollment will be approved toward a degree but, under special circumstances, up to one-half of visiting credit hours may be applied. There is no guarantee or expectation that any coursework taken as a visitor will be accepted toward program degree requirements. All graduate courses taken as a visiting student will be computed into the graduate grade point average.
If you plan to seek a graduate degree, be sure to discuss the pros and cons of visiting enrollment with the graduate coordinator of the program to which you plan to apply.
Note that visiting graduate students are not degree students and are, therefore, not typically eligible for most forms of financial aid.
1. To being a new application you will need to create a new account. Visit Go.IllinoisState.edu and click on the ‘Create an Account!’ icon.
2. Follow the steps to fill in the requested information to create an account.
3. Once you’ve submitted your information, you will then be sent an e-mail with your University Login ID, commonly referred to as ULID.
4. Complete the steps to create your account.
5. Close out of the website and then go back to Go.IllinoisState.edu and log in with your ULID and password provided in the email.
6. Once logged in, select the ‘Visiting Non-Degree Seeking Applicants’ icon under Apply Now for Admission.
Click “Start New Application” icon and follow the steps for the online application.
8. On the second page of the application, you will select that you are either graduate or undergraduate visiting student. (If you have received a Bachelor’s degree, you must apply as a graduate visiting student)
9. There is a $50 application fee. Once you have submitted the payment for the application fee, you will still need to go to the next page to submit the application itself. Paying the application fee will not automatically submit the application.
10. Once you have submitted the application, you will receive an e-mail from the Admissions Office with the submission confirmation.
11. When Admissions begins processing your application, you will receive a visiting student disclaimer statement via e-mail. You will need to reply to the e-mail stating that you have read and understand the disclaimer.
12. The visiting student application can take up to a week to receive a decision. While college transcripts are not required to determine admission, the department may require them to give an override for your intended class (most courses will be major blocked).